In the business world the individuals who start companies can be labeled as one of the following two types - Leaders and Shopkeepers.
Leaders are guided by a long-term and overarching vision. The product or service they conceive is a path towards entrepreneurial success in terms of fame and money. They are focused on the long-term and view the balance sheet and profit and loss statements over a wider time horizon. Real businesses do no start making money immediately as they first attempt to create a tempting revenue model based on a product or service idea which carries certain newness in it.
Leaders invest in their people. They would generally hire with a long-term and don't do seasonal hire and fire. Everyone hired by them is a part of the strategic vision till the organization gains traction and reaches the critical mass.
On the other hand, Shopkeepers are just the opposites of Leaders. The organizations they start are means for them to earn cash from an emerging trend in the business. They watch the profit and loss on a daily basis. They engage in seasonal hire and fire but never fire the coterie and the trusted lieutenants. Such organizations are run like an old boys club with the well-knit family assuming complete control. Professional practices find it difficult to gain a foothold in such organizations.
The moot point is - does this make a difference? Yes, it emphatically does. For organizations which are managed by "Leaders", likelihood of growth and success is much higher and it is generally much faster. For organizations which are run (not really managed) by "Shopkeepers" growth and scaling up always remains a distant dream. And in situations of economic turmoil the "Shopkeepers" will tend to be like mad men trying to desperately row their boat in troubled waters and getting exhausted, without ever realizing like "Leaders" will, that at times no action is the best action.
Sunday, December 12, 2010
Leaders and Shopkeepers
If one were to imagine a temple as not just a place of worship but a place to relax and clam down one's mental faculties then the Baba ...
Most of those having a day job are a part of the rat race. Like a rat scurrying from one corner to another in search of food and safety,...
Having happy relationships in life is supposedly a key factor that significantly influences whether your life will be long and good or not....
When bad time strikes, you or someone in you family may face a sudden medical emergency. A few minutes before the emergency all would see...
How do you really know whether you are working in a conceited company or not? Here are some tell-tale signs that are too obvious to be m...
This post is about three monkeys, the three monkeys that sat together. Why the monkeys sat together? Well, they sat together because th...
Many years ago, I visited couple of places in Kerala with some friends. That time I was in Bangalore (in these so many years Bangalore has ...
Suppose you are just one week or two away from your death. Now, think about this question - how would you look back at your life? Would ...
In the last few decades, and especially so in the last few years, many people have experimented with minimalism and shared their wonderful ...
An earlier post titled Small Companies but Big Politics and Even Bigger Egos dwelt upon the types of creepy creatures in the top rung of ...
- ► 2017 (22)
- ► 2016 (75)
- ► 2015 (41)
- ► 2013 (18)
- ► 2012 (32)
- ► 2011 (21)
- Handling Poor Performers
- Does Your Boss Need You?
- Supply Chain Management
- Strategic Management
- Return on Investment
- Organizational Change Management
- Customer Relationship Management
- Corporate Governance
- Managing Money
- Savings and Investment
- Work Life Balance
- Managing Job and Career
- Planet People Profit
- Major Economic Trends in 2010
- Politics and World Affairs
- Visit to NDA Khadakwasla
- Zero Oil Chicken Dish
- Visit to Sultanpur Bird Sanctuary
- Combined Business and Pleasure Trip in Delhi
- Delayed Train Journey
- MG Road Phenomenon in India
- Religious Spots in India
- Touch and Go Trip to Chandigarh
- Exploring South India - in God's Own Country Keral...
- Visit to IITF 2009 at Pragati Maidan
- Visit to a Resort at Karla Near Lonavala in Mahara...
- Visit to a Sugar Factory Near Islampur in Maharash...
- Long Drive in NCR
- Visit to London in 2006
- Proud Indian
- Mumbai Pune Expressway
- Travel Luggage Packing Checklist
- Change, Accept or Quit
- Tagging Web Pages
- Can We Wipe Out Poverty from India?
- Monetization of Cricket
- Critic, Cynic, Doubter, Negative, Hardliner, Biase...
- From Manager to CEO
- Posting on My Blogs
- Buzzwords of the Corporate World
- Death of Human Sensitivity
- How to Make Changing City Easier
- Priorities for My Properties
- 2009 - Oh what a year it was
- How to Say I Don't Know Your Language
- Monetizing Web Properties
- The Performance Appraisal Ritual
- Designing My Web Properties
- Upgrading TikiWiki Module
- Hindi Movie Songs on Life and Philosophy
- Job Market and 'Sabzi' Market
- Entering Stock Market
- Unethical Credit Card Companies
- Job Search Sites in India
- A Really Bad Accident
- Regulatory Body for the Housing Sector
- Numerology Based Baby Name Selector
- Moving to My Own Domain
- Creating Personal Website, Blogs and Wikis
- Managing My Blogs
- Streamlining My Personal Website, Blogs and Wikis
- From "Made in Japan" to "Made in India"
- Understanding Life
- You Get Hired for Business Need not for Career Gro...
- Why an Employee Changes Job?
- Do You Stand a Chance to Become CEO?
- Progress Over Perfection
- Learning and Growing Professionally
- Individual Aspirations and Organizational Expectat...
- Frustrated, Impatient, Anxious and Uncomfortable
- Don't Try Too Hard
- Life is a Constant Struggle
- Health Before Wealth
- Behavior-based Interviews
- Feeling Down - Think 100 Years Later
- Fighting Sadness and Melancholy
- 3 Quick Tips on Health and Fitness
- Investing in Stock Market
- Saving Tax Under Section 80C
- Live Life As It Comes
- The Ultimate Goal of Life
- Managing Home Loan EMI
- Recession and Lay-offs
- Carbon Footprint
- Development or Greed?
- Road Safety and Us
- How Green Are You?
- Some Whys Behind Economic Recession of 2008
- Economic Recession of 2008
- Cash to Crash
- Culture of Excellence
- Need for Excellence
- Technology and Excellence
- Excellence in Governance
- Excellence - the Big Picture
- How to Quit Smoking for a Healthier You?
- Be Wise About Your Health
- Ayurveda and Health
- Self-Expression and Excellence
- ▼ December (133)