Entrepreneurship and Excellence - these two, at times, may sound disconnected concepts. In reality, though, these two are not only deeply interconnected but also strongly complement each other.
Becoming an entrepreneur means that one has imbibed excellence as an inherent and integral part of the original business idea, overarching strategy and execution approach behind the entrepreneurial venture. Entrepreneurial success requires the presence of:
1. Novel Business Idea
that can be commercialized to generate revenue (after a certain duration if not immediately but surely on an ongoing basis - to the extent one can visualize). The strength ofthe business idea depends on innovation or differentiation in the products and services that constitute the business idea. The key point that emerges is - "what business need do the target customers have? and what products and services will the target customers be willing to pay for to meet those business needs?"
2. Down-to-earth Execution Strategy
the execution strategy should be simple and down-to-earth, and should in no case be bogged down in the management jargon and theories often used to describe business management (as one would find happening inthe business schools). Business execution in a layman's language simply means - spend money (expenses) to earn more money (revenues), the difference beingthe business 's real value (profits or losses as the case may be). It's commonsensical to assume that no business can survive for long if it continues to make losses!
3. Committed Core Team
a set of people who come together with a common purpose, share personal trust and confidence and who complement each others' competencies (so that the team as a whole is rich is all required competencies) is essential to be successful in any entrepreneurial venture. Commitment and dedication to thebusiness idea and to each other is a must in the core team.
4. Entrepreneurial Traits
the core teams must display extreme behaviors... passion and child-like curiosity for the technological, functional and technical aspects of thebusiness idea and hard-headed, hard-nosed negotiation and communication skills for the financial, commercial, legal and general managerial aspects of thebusiness idea.
5. Vision about the Future Direction of the Business Idea
this may sound counter-intuitive but is extremely important. It may be next to impossible to articulate the exact direction and pace of howthe business idea will progress. It is, however, very important to keep the entrepreneurial mission alive at all times (especially when things may seem to be adverse and unfavorable).
6. Leadership and Communication Style of the Leader
there is always one individual who can be labeled as the main brain behind any entrepreneurial venture. He may assemble other like-minded people but eventually he create and carries the aura of the main founder, visionary and leader - take the example of Bill Gates (Microsoft) and Narayanamurthy (Infosys). The leadership and communication style of this person shapes and guides the soft underbelly of the organization. And if the organization becomes successful and eventually grows on to become larger and bigger later on, some of those practices and the culture live on forever.
7. Excellence in Strategy and Execution
this increases the chance of being successful, by a factor of 10X. Beyond the commercial merit of the business idea, the strategy and execution aspects decide the eventual fate. How much chance does an otherwise healthy patient have at the hands of an incompetent surgeon?
Entrepreneurship and Excellence, as is obvious by now, are complementary by nature. Presence of excellence is a must for entrepreneurial success.
Sunday, December 12, 2010
Entrepreneurship and Excellence
If one were to imagine a temple as not just a place of worship but a place to relax and clam down one's mental faculties then the Baba ...
It is a fact that there are some people you come across in your life who you would never like. No matter what. Some people just piss you...
Most of those having a day job are a part of the rat race. Like a rat scurrying from one corner to another in search of food and safety,...
Many years ago, I visited couple of places in Kerala with some friends. That time I was in Bangalore (in these so many years Bangalore has ...
This post is about three monkeys, the three monkeys that sat together. Why the monkeys sat together? Well, they sat together because th...
Most companies choose to tell (or not tell) their prospective hires certain facts and figures during the interview process which cannot be ...
It is very important to know and also understand how things are going in your life at a given point in time. Clearly knowing and articula...
We are constantly bombarded with stuff and more stuff from all directions. Whether it be a mall, a retail store or a grocery website, every...
Do You Constantly Feel Unsettled and Discontent with the Way Your Life Seems to be Just Drifting Along?Yes? You do constantly feel unsettled? Discontent perhaps? Think your life seems to be just drifting along? If you are going through all ...
Just like a company constantly keeps a close watch on it's health based on parameters such as revenues, profits, etc. all of us should ...
- ► 2017 (21)
- ► 2016 (75)
- ► 2015 (41)
- ► 2013 (18)
- ► 2012 (32)
- ► 2011 (21)
- Handling Poor Performers
- Does Your Boss Need You?
- Supply Chain Management
- Strategic Management
- Return on Investment
- Organizational Change Management
- Customer Relationship Management
- Corporate Governance
- Managing Money
- Savings and Investment
- Work Life Balance
- Managing Job and Career
- Planet People Profit
- Major Economic Trends in 2010
- Politics and World Affairs
- Visit to NDA Khadakwasla
- Zero Oil Chicken Dish
- Visit to Sultanpur Bird Sanctuary
- Combined Business and Pleasure Trip in Delhi
- Delayed Train Journey
- MG Road Phenomenon in India
- Religious Spots in India
- Touch and Go Trip to Chandigarh
- Exploring South India - in God's Own Country Keral...
- Visit to IITF 2009 at Pragati Maidan
- Visit to a Resort at Karla Near Lonavala in Mahara...
- Visit to a Sugar Factory Near Islampur in Maharash...
- Long Drive in NCR
- Visit to London in 2006
- Proud Indian
- Mumbai Pune Expressway
- Travel Luggage Packing Checklist
- Change, Accept or Quit
- Tagging Web Pages
- Can We Wipe Out Poverty from India?
- Monetization of Cricket
- Critic, Cynic, Doubter, Negative, Hardliner, Biase...
- From Manager to CEO
- Posting on My Blogs
- Buzzwords of the Corporate World
- Death of Human Sensitivity
- How to Make Changing City Easier
- Priorities for My Properties
- 2009 - Oh what a year it was
- How to Say I Don't Know Your Language
- Monetizing Web Properties
- The Performance Appraisal Ritual
- Designing My Web Properties
- Upgrading TikiWiki Module
- Hindi Movie Songs on Life and Philosophy
- Job Market and 'Sabzi' Market
- Entering Stock Market
- Unethical Credit Card Companies
- Job Search Sites in India
- A Really Bad Accident
- Regulatory Body for the Housing Sector
- Numerology Based Baby Name Selector
- Moving to My Own Domain
- Creating Personal Website, Blogs and Wikis
- Managing My Blogs
- Streamlining My Personal Website, Blogs and Wikis
- From "Made in Japan" to "Made in India"
- Understanding Life
- You Get Hired for Business Need not for Career Gro...
- Why an Employee Changes Job?
- Do You Stand a Chance to Become CEO?
- Progress Over Perfection
- Learning and Growing Professionally
- Individual Aspirations and Organizational Expectat...
- Frustrated, Impatient, Anxious and Uncomfortable
- Don't Try Too Hard
- Life is a Constant Struggle
- Health Before Wealth
- Behavior-based Interviews
- Feeling Down - Think 100 Years Later
- Fighting Sadness and Melancholy
- 3 Quick Tips on Health and Fitness
- Investing in Stock Market
- Saving Tax Under Section 80C
- Live Life As It Comes
- The Ultimate Goal of Life
- Managing Home Loan EMI
- Recession and Lay-offs
- Carbon Footprint
- Development or Greed?
- Road Safety and Us
- How Green Are You?
- Some Whys Behind Economic Recession of 2008
- Economic Recession of 2008
- Cash to Crash
- Culture of Excellence
- Need for Excellence
- Technology and Excellence
- Excellence in Governance
- Excellence - the Big Picture
- How to Quit Smoking for a Healthier You?
- Be Wise About Your Health
- Ayurveda and Health
- Self-Expression and Excellence
- ▼ December (133)