The Enron incident that took the US Corporate world by storm in the beginning of this century was an inflection point for the CEOs. It led to terms like Business Ethics, Corporate Citizenship, etc. catch the fancy of the CEOs (and the other CXOs) in no time.
The rush towards being ethical in business dealings with the entire corporate ecosystem became a mad-rush amongst the corporates especially the premier organizations (companies in the Fortune 500, Global 2000, and other similar list across the globe). The corporate ecosystem that includes clients, end-customers, suppliers, employees, government agencies, non-government organizations, etc. were brought into the scope of business ethics as the stakes were simply too high.
The subsequent conviction of the key officials of Enron is a point in case that CEOs and the 2nd level officers in corporates, the CXOs and VPs, are wholly responsible for such incidents.
Anyone who has worked in a formal corporate setting (a “Company”) would agree that the CEOs and senior officers hold absolute power over the other non-CXO employees. And if the CEOs and CXOs want and when they want they can just say “off with his head”. Lay-offs, downsizing, job cuts are a part of the corporate game that CEOs and other senior officers play everyday.
Protecting the company's revenues and margins is not really a goal of the CEOs and CXOs, it is their necessity. It is their necessity because they have to protect their salaries, bonus, stock options and retirement or severance benefits. And this necessity also makes them take ethics quite seriously as the stakes are simply too high.
All organizations who consider themselves be a part of the fraternity of premier and progressive organizations have a Business Ethics Policy in place now. These policies are almost the same across all these organizations. The similarities do not end here and extends even to having common titles such as VP Ethics etc.
Ethics is now a pet obsession for many CEOs and CXOs as they know the stakes are simply too high and with an intrusive and ever-alert media they could find themselves in a tight corner in no time. The stakes are simply too high... they have to protect their salaries, bonus, stock options and retirement or severance benefits.
Analyzing this whole issue from an abstract perspective would mean that we make or world a place where everyone is just, fair and honest. A person can't be genuinely honest in his professional life if he not honest in his personal life.
Business ethics can save the CEO but will not save the world. The great leader of the last century, Mahatma Gandhi, becomes absolutely relevant in this discussion. His preachings on simplicity, truth and honesty provide direction and methods to make this world an ethical place in a complete sense. After corporates are just one element of human civilization.
Sunday, December 12, 2010
Ethics and CEOs
If one were to imagine a temple as not just a place of worship but a place to relax and clam down one's mental faculties then the Baba ...
Most of those having a day job are a part of the rat race. Like a rat scurrying from one corner to another in search of food and safety,...
Killing our ego is the secret to happiness. And one of the best ways to achieve the state of "killed ego" is to follow the famo...
It is a fact that there are some people you come across in your life who you would never like. No matter what. Some people just piss you...
This post is about three monkeys, the three monkeys that sat together. Why the monkeys sat together? Well, they sat together because th...
We are constantly bombarded with stuff and more stuff from all directions. Whether it be a mall, a retail store or a grocery website, every...
Many years ago, I visited couple of places in Kerala with some friends. That time I was in Bangalore (in these so many years Bangalore has ...
Most companies choose to tell (or not tell) their prospective hires certain facts and figures during the interview process which cannot be ...
It is very important to know and also understand how things are going in your life at a given point in time. Clearly knowing and articula...
How do you really know whether you are working in a conceited company or not? Here are some tell-tale signs that are too obvious to be m...
- ► 2017 (21)
- ► 2016 (75)
- ► 2015 (41)
- ► 2013 (18)
- ► 2012 (32)
- ► 2011 (21)
- Handling Poor Performers
- Does Your Boss Need You?
- Supply Chain Management
- Strategic Management
- Return on Investment
- Organizational Change Management
- Customer Relationship Management
- Corporate Governance
- Managing Money
- Savings and Investment
- Work Life Balance
- Managing Job and Career
- Planet People Profit
- Major Economic Trends in 2010
- Politics and World Affairs
- Visit to NDA Khadakwasla
- Zero Oil Chicken Dish
- Visit to Sultanpur Bird Sanctuary
- Combined Business and Pleasure Trip in Delhi
- Delayed Train Journey
- MG Road Phenomenon in India
- Religious Spots in India
- Touch and Go Trip to Chandigarh
- Exploring South India - in God's Own Country Keral...
- Visit to IITF 2009 at Pragati Maidan
- Visit to a Resort at Karla Near Lonavala in Mahara...
- Visit to a Sugar Factory Near Islampur in Maharash...
- Long Drive in NCR
- Visit to London in 2006
- Proud Indian
- Mumbai Pune Expressway
- Travel Luggage Packing Checklist
- Change, Accept or Quit
- Tagging Web Pages
- Can We Wipe Out Poverty from India?
- Monetization of Cricket
- Critic, Cynic, Doubter, Negative, Hardliner, Biase...
- From Manager to CEO
- Posting on My Blogs
- Buzzwords of the Corporate World
- Death of Human Sensitivity
- How to Make Changing City Easier
- Priorities for My Properties
- 2009 - Oh what a year it was
- How to Say I Don't Know Your Language
- Monetizing Web Properties
- The Performance Appraisal Ritual
- Designing My Web Properties
- Upgrading TikiWiki Module
- Hindi Movie Songs on Life and Philosophy
- Job Market and 'Sabzi' Market
- Entering Stock Market
- Unethical Credit Card Companies
- Job Search Sites in India
- A Really Bad Accident
- Regulatory Body for the Housing Sector
- Numerology Based Baby Name Selector
- Moving to My Own Domain
- Creating Personal Website, Blogs and Wikis
- Managing My Blogs
- Streamlining My Personal Website, Blogs and Wikis
- From "Made in Japan" to "Made in India"
- Understanding Life
- You Get Hired for Business Need not for Career Gro...
- Why an Employee Changes Job?
- Do You Stand a Chance to Become CEO?
- Progress Over Perfection
- Learning and Growing Professionally
- Individual Aspirations and Organizational Expectat...
- Frustrated, Impatient, Anxious and Uncomfortable
- Don't Try Too Hard
- Life is a Constant Struggle
- Health Before Wealth
- Behavior-based Interviews
- Feeling Down - Think 100 Years Later
- Fighting Sadness and Melancholy
- 3 Quick Tips on Health and Fitness
- Investing in Stock Market
- Saving Tax Under Section 80C
- Live Life As It Comes
- The Ultimate Goal of Life
- Managing Home Loan EMI
- Recession and Lay-offs
- Carbon Footprint
- Development or Greed?
- Road Safety and Us
- How Green Are You?
- Some Whys Behind Economic Recession of 2008
- Economic Recession of 2008
- Cash to Crash
- Culture of Excellence
- Need for Excellence
- Technology and Excellence
- Excellence in Governance
- Excellence - the Big Picture
- How to Quit Smoking for a Healthier You?
- Be Wise About Your Health
- Ayurveda and Health
- Self-Expression and Excellence
- ▼ December (133)